Sunday, February 12, 2012

Proactive, that is what I'm going to be this week in asking you for your prayers

Proactive- Serving to prepare for, intervene in, or control an expected occurrence or situation, esp. a negative or difficult one; anticipatory.

That is exactly what this post is all about. You see Gordy and I are planning a getaway next weekend, because we are both desperate for some sleep, did I say desperate, yep that's what I meant. It seems like anytime we try to get away for a much needed break from the constant care of our precious Luker man he always and I mean always seems to get sick. Somehow he knows we are leaving even if we don't talk about it around him, I'm not sure why but it always happens.


Part of me feels just a tiny bit bad for being able to get away for the weekend, I know so many that are on this journey that are unable to ever get a break and I'm truly sorry for that, not sure how they go on. But then again the majority of the people that I know that have children similar to Luke's severe needs have nurses, they are able to get a breather from the constant care that they have to give, whether it's just a night nurse that takes over for them a few nights a week so they can get some uninterrupted sleep or a day nurse that gives them a break.


We are blessed in the fact that we do have some help in the mornings with my sister Cindy coming over 2 mornings a week and Natalie coming over 2 mornings also, them coming over is the only reason that I can go on some days, that few extra hours of sleep keeps me sane. We also have our precious daughter Amy still at home, she is a huge blessing to do all she does to make our journey easier.

Gordy and I will be celebrating our 29th wedding anniversary this summer:-) I've had people ask me many times how do you stay married that long?? We are blessed in the fact that we've always been able to keep our communication lines open through the really hard times and as you all know we've had some really hard, almost impossible days. I would be lying if I said that things have always been perfectly fine, nope we've definitely had our bad days and weeks, but we are committed to staying together. We made the decision on July 22, 1983 that we would stay together through the good times and bad times PERIOD. The only way we've found the last few years to stay strong as a couple is to get away from the constant stress that we live under, being sleep deprived on top of handling all Luke's medical needs, along with the needs of our other children and then adding on top of that Gordy has a pretty stressful demanding job makes some days seem very challenging to say the least.

Bottom line I am trying to be more proactive in my life today. Just as Gordy and I are being proactive in our marriage by being sure to keep it strong during a time that we could just curl up and give up, we have decided to keep our relationship strong by making it a priority this coming weekend. Therefore we are humbly requesting that you would please keep our marriage, our family and Luke's health in your prayers this week as we prepare to take a much needed break away. Thank you:-)

Also wanted to remind you that this week will be full of way too many appointments for Luke. Tomorrow I have to take Luke into to get his blood drawn to test his seizure medication levels in the morning, then he has his follow up appointment with the surgeon at 1 and last but not least his Pulmonologist appointment at 2:45. Prayers would be appreciated to get through our Monday.

Love in Christ, Luke's Mommy Sue


I love it when Luke and Lily get to sit down and watch a movie together. Lily enjoys reading books to Luke and even has him playing with her dolls at time, Luke seems to loves it!!

3 comments:

Lynne said...

Great wedding photos! Thanks for sharing. I hope that your getaway is a lot of fun and very relaxing.

As for getting a breather at times, I asked in a comment a month or two ago if you had ever considered looking into your local public school and what they could offer Luke. Even if you homeschool your kids, Luke's situation is different...Can't help but think that his going to a public school for even a few hours per day could be so beneficial for him, and for you as well.

Wishing you peace, good health & sleep,

Lynne

Jean said...

Love those pics--very sweet! I will be praying that this weekend goes well, and that Luke stays healthy. Keep us posted about today's news.

XO

Anonymous said...

I love the photos! So wonderful that you guys can get away...it is a goood thing.