Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Luke's surgery went great and now he is doing great again!

Luke is once again doing good! His surgery went better than expected and then the excitement began. I knew something was going on because the Dr. said that they should be calling us in about 15 minutes to go see him after the surgery was completed. After sitting there for 30 minutes we realized that something was wrong. They called us to go to the surgery waiting area, when we got there the nurse was on the phone saying, "do you want mom to come?" I immediately knew something was going on and even though she told me I wasn't needed I asked her to take me to Luke. I was so glad I did Luke was freaking out he had 3 nurses and 2 Dr. standing over him trying to figure out what to do, you see his secretions were out of control which was causing his oxygen levels to be out of control and he was yelling. They were getting ready to suction him, which I knew he needed and then I told them that I would suction him the way he is used to at home. I begin to pray and talk with him and he began to settle down, they had his head way to far back therefore he was chocking on his secretions. The Dr.'s asked me if Luke was normally like that I told them that though Luke does not need to be suctioned all the time, he definitely would need some extra suctioning at this time. I got him settled down and stable, the nurses kept thanking me and saying they were so glad that I had taken over, Mom's really do know best!

We got up to his room around 8:00 p.m. After giving the nurse all the information again, we got him settled in and on oxygen. It was definitely a rough night Luke's oxygen needs were pretty high all through the night, I didn't get to sleep until around 3:30 a.m. when the nurse finally turned up his oxygen, he had mask on so we could turn up to I think 6 liters, once we did that he stayed stable. He is doing great now and I'm ready to go home were just waiting for the nurse to decide we can go, since Luke's Dr. said we could go when she felt he was ready.

Praise God, I'm so thankful for His amazing touch in Luke's life, He is so faithful to allow Luke to come through this surgery so wonderful. We are also grateful to hear that Luke's airway is looking good, the Dr. did a scope down there to be sure that there was no scarring from his Trache sight. The Dr. said the only thing that gave him any concern was the fact that he had quite of bit of cloudy secretions in his lungs.

When I ran down to get something to eat this morning, I ran into a old friend, her daughter Stephanie is in surgery right now, she had hip displacements when she was born and now 27 years later she is having surgery once again to fix the problems she's been having. Please keep her in your prayers, I know she will need them especially today and while she is recuperating.

Thank you for all your prayers, I know without a shadow of a doubt that they are the reason why Luke is doing so good.

Love in Christ,
Luke's Mommy Suzi


Tiffany said...

Praise God! Thanks for the timely update to let us all know how Luke (and you!) are doing. So happy this is behind you now, and looking forward to how this will help Luke once he heals. Will continue praying!

Nicintime said...

Great News!

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear it's going well, I've been praying. We've done T&A 3 times...but of course not with the added challenges. I will continue to pray, especially that Luke (and therefor all of you) have a peaceful and restful recovery.
Sue F
PS...I don't envy you for the coming "dragon breath"...yuck!

Nicole said...


Skinners said...

I am sooooooo thankful they let you go back!!!!

Love ya lots,
~ Aunt Cindy