Monday, April 30, 2012

Feeling blessed today to be getting my wish for my Birthday this year, SLEEP:-)

Today is my birthday, yep I'm turning 48 years old today:-) There is a part of me that really feels like I'm 48 years old and then there is another part of me that feels like I'm still in my twenties, though I sure don't want to go back there again. My mom asked me the other day, "Sue, what do you want for your birthday this year?" After thinking about it for a minute the only answer I could come up with is SLEEP, that's really all I want, a full night of uninterrupted, no alarms, sleep. I often think if I could just get a full night of sleep I could, run faster perhaps break my 12 minute mile for more than 3 miles,  I could wake up feeling refreshed, I could accomplish all the things that I have on my "to do list", I could lose a few more pounds, because you know that sleep is important to weight loss, I could . . . the list could go on and on. I've been so tired lately that I've woke up a few time recently in a panic because I thought that I had forgotten to do something, it's so real in my mind that I get out of bed to see if someone is coming over or I'm check my phone to see if I've missed some calls and to check my calendar. I also fell asleep recently after taking Luke to his PT appointment we were going to go shopping at Costco, well I thought since he had fallen asleep I would close my eyes for a few minutes, I woke up 20 minutes later confused to where I was and what I was doing. Kind of scary, sleep deprivation can do strange things to your mind.

I'm excited to say that I'm getting my wish this year for my birthday! You see Gordy has to go to Las Vegas this week for business and we figured since he has a hotel room all paid for, along with his flight and food, I could use our flight airline miles and get a free trip to join him, except for the cost of my food. To be honest I'm not all that excited about going to Las Vegas, I don't gamble, drink or really enjoy the shows, what really excites me is the fact that I will be able to sleep each night without any alarms going off or waking up to Luke coughing and gagging in the morning. I am looking forward to some time spent by the pool, catching a few rays, along with the fact that I won't have anything pressing that will need to be done for 3 full days. Also hoping to meet Cierra, she has Austin who had a near drowning accident a year after Luke, our stories are so similar in that our boys were both 17 months old, when they went from being healthy precious children, who were walking and talking to being little guys hanging on for their dear lives.

 Gordy and I sharing a huge delicious mud pie with our good friends Juan and Yoli, they took us out for my birthday, yep I'm blessed:-)

What I'm really hoping and praying is that Luke will do good this time while I'm gone, last time he decided to get sick the day I left and then continued to be sick for weeks to follow. He's been doing so good lately and I'm hoping and praying that he will stay that way for the next few days. It will be so nice to have this week off before we have a week of lots appointments next week, Luke is going in for a baclafen pump trial once again. Baclafen is a muscle relaxant and we are hoping that by putting it straight into his spine, which is what the pump would do he could enjoy the benefits of the medication without the nasty side effects of it putting him to sleep all the time.

PLEASE PRAY: For Luke to do great while we're gone
For the kids to be okay, they are sad to see us go.
For Amy as she is covering all the nights while we are gone.
For my mind to shut down at night so that I can get some really good sleep.
For safe flights for Gordy and I, we are flying at separate times.
For Luke's baclafen pump trial to go good next week.

Thank you and God bless you,
Luke's Mommy Sue

1 comment:

Laraba said...

Praying you have a great trip and that you do get a lot of sleep! It says so much about you that you are soldiering on after weeks and months and years of inadequate sleep. I'm about to have our 8th child and the first few months are always challenging...I can't imagine how you have functioned with interrupted sleep for years. Praying that Luke has a GREAT weekend and doesn't get sick.