Sunday, October 31, 2004

It is about time!

Hi, sorry it has been so long between posts. This past week has been extremely busy and frankly a very tiring one. Pray that God will give me more time and energy to blog, I really miss being able to spend the time writing.

Q: How is Luke doing?
A: The most frequent question I get. My usual reply is that Luke is doing Great! Luke continues to make baby step improvements and he is doing great considering what he went through. That said, don't misunderstand me, Luke doesn't walk, talk and he has a long ways to go to recover. All that said, he is doing great.

Now, how is Luke doing today, this very moment? Not so good. We think he might have a cold or allergies, as his secretions have increased a lot the last two days. He needs to be suctioned a lot more Fri, Sat and now Sun. He has not slept in the past two days with the exception of an hour nap here or there. The weekends we take on Luke's care, just to give our house a break from nurses all the time. We have great nurses, it is just that it is hard always having someone around.

Please pray that Luke will sleep, he is sooo tired. Also, pray that he will get over this cold, as this could become pneumonia, which would be really bad. Pray that God will give us wisdom in how to best care for Luke.

Also, pray for the Searles family as a whole, we are pretty tired and could use a bit of sleep, our sleep aligns with Luke's. Also, we feel a heavy spiritual attack, we have noticed an increase in the boys arguing with each other, as well as other things. Please pray that God's presence will bring a peace and calm to our house.

Q: What is HBOT?
A: HBOT stands for HyperBaric Oxygenation Therapy. The basic process is a patient is placed in a hyperbaric chamber just like the ones used for treating divers. The chamber is filled with 100% oxygen and then the atmospheric pressure is raised to ~3 atmospheres. By increasing the pressure, it is the equivalent of giving a person 140% oxygen. In Luke's condition, there are brain cells that are alive and functioning, there are brain cells that are dead and there are brain cells that are what they call idling. The idling brain cells are alive, but not functioning to the fullest extent and the extra oxygen can help revive these brain cells to being alert and full function. I have read stories of patients that have regained significant capabilities after many treatments. One story, a little boy that nearly drowned at age 2, similar to Luke. After 200+ treatments, he has regained much of the function he had prior to the accident. We are hoping for a similar result for Luke.

Q: We have been wondering if you are still thinking about trying the hyperbaric treatments (HBOT) for Luke in the future?
A: Yes, it is not a matter of if we try HBOT, but a matter of when. I still believe that this is the most promising of treatments out there. Recently Sue went to her Chiropractor and they were talking about Luke. He told her that he is interested in buying a hyperbaric chamber that could be used for HBOT for Luke. He has a room there at his office to be able to put the chamber. Needless to say, we are amazed at how God is bringing all things together for His glory. Pray that the details for this would happen.

Q: How can we help? Do you need someone to watch Luke and give you a break? Do you need money? I just want to help.
A: These are questions, that I am asked regularly, so let me answer them for everyone's benefit.

First, how can I help? I know it doesn't seem like much, but the biggest, most important thing you can possibly do for Luke, is pray. I know this sounds so simple and seems to miss the mark, but let me tell you as a father whose heart is breaking for his son, to know that there are people out there that are praying, people that we have never meet, is more important then anything. Many are following Luke's progress even if they don't post, Rena is right, the ones that do post are just the tip of the proverbial ice berg!

Do you need someone to watch Luke and give you a break? Right now, we have nurses at night Sun-Thu (10:30pm-6:30am) and during the day Mon-Fri (9am-5pm). We choose to not have nurses on the weekend as a break from having people in our home. In order for people to help, they have to be trained in how to care for Luke. Right now, we have really great nurses and so there isn't a need, this may change, I will let you know if it does.

Do you need money? I am reluctant to even bring this one up. The answer is not a simple one. Right now, no, the bills are all paid and we are doing great, God is supplying all our need. That said, I don't know what the future holds. As I look at the cost of HBOT with 200 treatments being between $15,000 and $30,000, depending on where you go, I must admit, I don't know how it will all work out. That said, I do know who holds the future and the God I serve owns it all. In Philippians, it says, "And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus". I have been counseled by some that I should ask for money while there is great interest in Luke's story. I will never use Luke to get something we don't need, I will never ask for help when there isn't a need. Frankly, I am not trusting in you and your abilities, nor am I trusting in my own abilities, I am trusting in God and Him alone. I know God has a plan for meeting our needs, and that includes HBOT and whatever else will come our way, I am not worried one iota. His plan may include having many of you help, and then again, it may not. Right now, I am not sure what the future holds, it is hard to see much beyond today. All of that said, when a need becomes apparent, I will let you know.

I want to finish with two short stories about how lives are being touched by Luke's story and the ripple affect.

A friend from work was recently on an airplane and he began talking with the person next to him. Soon they were talking about God and spiritual things. Part of the way into the conversation, he shared Luke's story and how it had impacted his relationship with Christ. A seed was sown in a young woman's life.

Another friend recently told me that he began going back to church as a result of reading the Luke's story and the realization of what it means to be a follower of Christ. A family touched.

Two lives touched by a little boy named Luke and his family. Frankly, I am humbled that God would use my family to touch so many lives, I really don't feel up to the task. Lord Thank You for touching hearts for your kingdom's sake, Amen.

If you have a story of how Luke's story has impacted you, or how you have been able to share Luke's story to point others to Christ, I would love to hear them, please post, even if it is anonymous.

Well, I took so long to write that he finally fell asleep. Thanks for praying.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't remember my password at the moment but didn't want to delay sending you all our love, thoughts and always, prayers. You are always in our thoughts as we go through our days. As you said, so many people have been touched by Luke and your story. I have many friends at work and at home who ask me about Luke and the whole family. I think of all our combined prayers as like layers of paper mache, each layer/prayer small but building a strong love.
Love, Pam, Hal, Carl and Paul

Anonymous said...

Hello there. I heard about Luke on a livejournal site which I use to keep in touch with my three sons who are away at University. I am a 50 year old lady from the UK. I am not a religious person per se but I do have my own private belief in God although I do not actively pursue my beliefs outside of my own head, if that makes sense. I just wanted to say how much Lukes story has touched me and my family and that I check daily for news of his progress on this site. We just want to wish him and all your family the very best wishes in the world and to let you know we are thinking of you and saying prayers for you all in our own way.
Jan and family. XXX

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to post anonymously again. For some reason I couldn't post any other way...couldn't get on. Many at work ask about Luke and I share the good news not just Lukes but the Lords. We continue to lift you all up and will pray for quick recovery from this cold and that God will continue to open doors for HBOT close to home. Sue, you and your little one have been held close in prayer.We love you all, Jeff and Sue

Anonymous said...

Gordy and Sue,
I was weeping when I read the paragraph on the HBOT. ISn't our God so awesome to open up this door with your own chiropractor. We will pray that opening door to completion (the day that chamber is sitting in his office ready for Luke) It will be exciting to see what the Lord does to provide. Praise the Lord our FAther owns the cattle on a thousand hills and it will be another testimony of his miraculous provision! Be blessed with the righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit and may HIS sleep consume Luke and therefore the rest of your family. Love in Christ, Mary (in San An.)

Teena said...

HI!!! We have been out of town. We went down to Florida to visit my parents. I tried to check on Luke while there ... I had a hard time finding the site. I finally did and read the update this morning. We are home now.
I will pray for all of you. I will pray for the spiritual warfare and for your strength. I appreciate you keeping us up to date. I think christians every where are sharing Luke's story and I believe for years you will hear testimony after testimony. Thank you so much for letting us know your needs. Lifting you up in prayer!
your GA friends,
Billy, Teena,Michael 19, Mandi 15, Dakota 11, Alyssa 7, Wyatt 2.9 yrs, Wesley 15 months

Anonymous said...

AFTER READING YOUR UPDATE TODAY I WANTED YOU TO KNOW THAT I SHARE YOUR STORY OFTEN, AND USE YOUR FAMILY AS AN AWESOME EXAMPLE THAT IN THE FACE OF THE MOST DIFFICULT TIMES, OUR GOD IS WITH US, GUIDING US, AND STRENGTHING US, YOU AND SUE AND THE FAMILY ARE AN INSPIRATION, YOU ARE AN AWESOME EXAMPLE OF FAITH, AND YOU HELP OTHERS TO FIND THERE WAY TO GOD. I AM SURE THERE ARE HUNDREDS OF STORIES OUT THERE OF WHERE YOU HAVE BEEN AN AVENUE TO SPEAK TO OTHERS ABOUT OUR GOD. EVEN THOUGH I DO NOT POST OFTEN I DO PRAY OFTEN FOR LUKE AND YOUR FAMILY. WE LOVE YOU GUYS, AND ITS NICE TO SEE DANIEL AT CHURCH, LOVE LESLIE DAVIS.

Anonymous said...

Gordon - Luke's story has touched our lives so deeply that it is hard to express. The long and the short of the story - there is a two year old little boy who's very first prayers have been for Luke. His older brother is learning the joy of praying thanks for the wonderful things in life (Luke's "baby steps" along with personal thanks) as well as turning to prayer for help, guidance and healing in life. Their parents are searching their souls for ways to re-connect with faith in ways that were thought to be lost, as we too are not religious, yet have found a void without the expression of faith at least in prayer.

Thank you is probably not enough. The gift you have given to our family by letting us follow Luke's story is something of a mystery to me - unexpected and profound in many ways. I hope we will be thankful while discovering the depths of your generosity all our lives.

We are always here, always praying, but couldn't find the words until now.

Anonymous said...

We just wanted to let you know that our family will add you to our prayer list. We will keep Luke in our prayers.

From a family on quiverfull digest

Anonymous said...

I am, of course, continuing to pray for Luke and his most wonderful family. Was doing some "time with God" the other evening. Was hearing what Paul was saying to his son Timothy...This one took my breath away for sure...2 Timothy 3:15...

"And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus"...

Wow, does that speak to what all of us here have witnessed. Thank you Luke for inspiring me to draw closer to our God...Thank you Lord for guiding us to this precious child. Thank you Searles Family for your faith and unquenchable thirst for the love of Jesus Christ.

Nice to see you last Wed. Gordy. You look tired, but at peace. Thank you for letting all of us here be a part of your world. I'm sure it is most difficult to "stay on top" of things and I am truly grateful for your lovefilled messages.

Loving and Praying...

Honorary Grandma Barbara

Anonymous said...

I am, of course, continuing to pray for Luke and his most wonderful family. Was doing some "time with God" the other evening. Was hearing what Paul was saying to his son Timothy...This one took my breath away for sure...2 Timothy 3:15...

"And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus"...

Wow, does that speak to what all of us here have witnessed. Thank you Luke for inspiring me to draw closer to our God...Thank you Lord for guiding us to this precious child. Thank you Searles Family for your faith and unquenchable thirst for the love of Jesus Christ.

Nice to see you last Wed. Gordy. You look tired, but at peace. Thank you for letting all of us here be a part of your world. I'm sure it is most difficult to "stay on top" of things and I am truly grateful for your lovefilled messages.

Loving and Praying...

Honorary Grandma Barbara